Sunday, July 20, 2014

The Honeymooner Myth

Words to Live By

I remember when I was younger and my mother used to say, "A man can work from Sun to Sun, but a woman's work is never done."  I thought she was so clever to come up with such a saying (although I was young and was probably more impressed at the time with the way she made it rhyme as opposed to the actual message).  Later, the words would sink in as I watched her juggle a full-time job and everything else that life encompassed - a marriage, a house, three kids and a dog, to mention a few.

Then one day she sat me down and wanted me to watch a show on TV that she said was a favorite of hers - The Honeymooners.  It was in black and white and at first I thought that our television had broken.  Where was the color?

It was during that show that I heard that famous rhyme again, this time spoken by someone else.  It was one of those "heeeey" moments that made me laugh.  Still, I was always so impressed with her and her energy that I convinced myself that those TV people must have stolen that line from my mom and not the other way around. 

Not a Myth - More Like a Legend
She was an inspiration to me and part of the reason why I think I've not only developed a good work ethic, but a good sense of humor - even through the not-so-great moments that life can often throw our way.  She gave me strength - an inner strength that enables me to weather storms gracefully, to persevere through difficulties with a smile and to not be so hard on myself when things don't go exactly as I had planned.  An invaluable lesson. 

The reason I mention this is because this past week I was so busy and I found it really difficult to juggle and keep up with all of my various obligations, not to mention having to swallow my pride a few times.  We all have those moments when we don't feel completely in control of our lives, but even those moments are only temporary - nothing stays exactly the same forever.  And now I'm back with a vengeance. 

My schedule and my dedication are back on track.  I'll be posting a schedule this Monday - some mornings and some evenings (Sun to Sun).  They'll be time for writing, working, studying as well as time for fun, relaxation and some naughty pleasures as well.

One of my pursuits will also be making time to enjoy the local pool where I plan on finishing up my latest short story, "Tan Lines," which I'll be posting soon.  If you're a VIP, you'll be getting a sneak peak in your email box soon (part of the perks of VIP status).

As for now, it's a semi-sunny Sunday morning that's cool and a bit breezy (weird for July in Jersey) and I'm going to just sit back, finish my morning coffee and enjoy the sound of my wind chimes jingling in the wind - all while I sit and wait for the phone to ring.  Life is good.

xxo Ashley




No comments:

Post a Comment