Saturday, May 24, 2014

Unofficial Start of Summer

I wrote this post last night - and poof the electricity went out.  Now imagine that reading the post - kinda scary.

Memorial Day - I can official wear white

 

 Happy Memorial Day Weekend Boys!

I'm sitting here in my nightie with the back sliding door wide open - the fresh, cool air feels refreshing.  It's warm enough to ditch the winter clothes and cool enough to just feel good.  Thank goodness there isn't too much traffic through my backyard - anyone walking by would certainly get an eyeful, but since my door is facing the woods I feel fairly ... well ... free to be me.

I'm certainly glad that the weekend is here (as I'm sure you are too). 

I took a break from my hectic schedule this week long enough to take advantage of the few hours of sunshine this week to get in the spring/summer mood. 

Yes, me, Ashley hauled her tight jeaned ass to the hardware store and picked up a big old bag of mulch, a big old bag of potting soil, a few pots and some flowers.

BTW - I'm happy to say that I've finally - once and for all - come to grips with the whole "annual and perennial" question that I tackle each year around this time.

It was hard to wrap my brain around how something called an "annual" wouldn't come back yearly.  I feel sorry for anyone learning English as a second language - it's enough to boggle an English-speaking brain sometimes. 

I'm really not the farming/landscaping kind of girl - I'm more of a beach/city kind of girl.  Unless it's a chance to get busy with a strapping farm hand, you probably won't find Ashley walking "amongst the rows."  I despise bugs and dirt just leaps onto my nice clothes - and yeah, no, that's not me. 

Still, barring the ability to call a landscaping company to come in and spruce up my sprawling property, I decided to dig in and make my view something I actually wanted to view.  My modest apartment patio is now something that actually makes me smile. 

I can't say that the whole annual/perennial thing was worth debating or figuring out - I'm hoping not to be here next year to see those annually-sprouting perennials, but it would be nice to leave my little mark on this portion of the world.  Maybe someone else will appreciate my effort ts down the road. 

But speaking of efforts (and leaving a mark or spot somewhere - like on the sheets) I'll be around for a bit just admiring the view and ... yep, here it comes again, listening to the rain, waiting for you to call. 

If we miss each other though, I hope you have a great (and fun) weekend.  And if someone gets you to celebrate the weekend by digging in the dirt and beautifying  your surroundings, just think about how much they'll appreciate it ... not just then, but every day they get to see their little section of Zen.  Make someone happy - they just may return the favor (over and over again).

xxo Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment