Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thanksgiving Dressing

What Are Your Supposed to Wear for Thanksgiving?

 
Okay, don't make fun - I really don't know what to wear for Thanksgiving.  I mean every other holiday people dress up - Easter bonnets (although I admit the concept is a little outdated), Halloween costumes are still in vogue though - and how about Valentine's Day - everyone wears red.  People wear red on Christmas too - and New Year's, well ... people go all out on the last day of the year, all sparkly and glittery and even some people's eyes are glassy and glitzy.  So what's a girl to wear on Thanksgiving? 
 
I'm starting out with the basics.  I'm sure Pocahontas didn't have much to wear - a couple of deer skins strategically covering the more sensitive and private areas, I'm sure ... and heck no, I don't want to dress like a Pilgrim.  I actually had to wear a flower girl's outfit once for my cousin's wedding and it looked exactly like a Pilgrim's dress.  But I was at that gawky age then anyway and hardly anyone noticed me.  I was, dare I say a bit of a tom-boy, a plain Jane and I just kind of melted into a crowd.
 
Gosh when I think of all the things I probably could've gotten away with back then ... but that ship has sailed.
 
Speaking of sailing ships and back to my wardrobe malfunction, I haven't got anything that looks even half-way Thanksgiving-ish.  Besides, I don't think I have to worry too much.  What generally happens, especially on holidays is you go to someone's house dressed nice and neat and you take time to do your make-up and do your hair just right and after an hour in the kitchen with the bird in the oven and mashing potatoes and washing dishes in hot, soapy water - basically giving yourself a facial over the sink, the hair winds up in a ponytail, the extra sweater or anything beyond a lightweight t-shirt is just too much to bear.  It's 130 degrees in the kitchen and all the men are asleep on the couch or watching football or something sports-like.  By the end of round two (after anti past and into the main course) your stomach's so full of carbs that you're contemplating opening your jeans while once again leaning against the sink, because - who would see?
 
As a side note, I do have quiet a few good memories of having my pants opened while doing dishes and being bent over the sink -  but that was neither a holiday nor a family function - see, now I'm getting all of my thoughts jobbled and out of their proper boxes - ewwww, I don't know if I could ever do that again now ... dammit~
 
Anyway ... Yes, that's the way it goes ... but that's not what the Thanksgiving holiday is about.  It's about being grateful for your friends and family and life in general - the big and the small things.  It's all good, as they say. 
 
Each moment is precious, each memory is special - and that's what living on the whole big blue marble is really all about - at least to me.  Sure, there's stuff to not be thankful for but I think even those things eventually lead us to things we can be thankful for - even the tiniest gesture can be a huge deal.
 
So here's my tiny gesture - and my non-clad Thanksgiving outfit (so far) - I just want to say thanks to all of my friends on NF.  It's like a small, intimate city that I travel to each day (okay - most days) where I get to interact with my friends, getting to know some of you intimately and just being each other's soft place to fall or the person who makes you laugh even when you didn't feel so jolly otherwise.  That's what it's about. 
 
Of course, throw in a few extra helpings of grunts and moans and thrusts and bones and hell - it's a freaking party!  So what the hell haven't we got to be thankful for?  I know I'm thankful for you!  I really mean that. 
 
Okay, so enough with the heart-felt throbbies ... No more mushiness - How about some real throbbers now - I mean geez, I'm standing here naked aren't I?  ;)  
 
~Happy Thanksgiving xxo

No comments:

Post a Comment